Have you ever heard of Pink Gellac? It's a gel nail polish brand that sells predominantly online. I first noticed them in Las Vegas a couple of years ago, and was really drawn to their display at a convention. You know me and bright colors...but I put it out of my mind because of my previous gel polish experience. When I was contacted to review their starter kit I figured it was a sign. I sure am glad I accepted.
promotional samples ahead
This isn't my first go with a gel manicure. I bought a kit a few years ago after I cracked a nail right before an epic swatchathon. It was pretty easy to use, but I did kinda hate the mini bottles after a few uses. I rarely use the thing now, even when I have a cracked nail. Mini polishes are just so hard to use...and I spent a pretty penny on that sucker too. But it was a good starter kit...I just wish I had known about this one.
The set comes with everything you'd need to do a full on gel manicure:
1 x Free Primer
1 x Free Color Dynamic Pink
4 x Free online courses
1 x Pink Gellac LED Lamp
1 x Pink Gellac Base2 NEW
1 x Pink Gellac Ultra Shine 15ml NEW
1 x Nail file 240-180 grid
1 x Orange Woodsticks
10 x Cleaner pockets
10 x Remover pockets NEW
See those big bottles? Full size, baby. Full size.
In order of use: primer, base, color, and shine coat.
What I liked:
- Obviously, the full sized bottles. For the cost of this set, it feels like a much better value. Plus it is way easier to apply a polish with a full sized handle, gel or no.
- the paddle-shaped brush. Very similar to the Sally Hansen brushes, which are lovely. It helps you get that nice, smooth curve at the cuticle without having to clean up. (I am terrified of having to clean up gel polish. A friend told me that it would hurt if I got gel on my skin and cured it...so I might be extra careful)
- the lack of nail-grinding. My primary hobby is nails, so anything that destroys them is against my very soul. But this kit doesn't ask you to scuff your nail plate, and that makes me glad.
- The LED. Instead of being a little arch, it is a tiny box. There is a little ridge inside the box that tells you wear to put your hand for optimal curing. It does make a startling BEEP at 30 seconds, and it turns off after 60...which is good because I don't understand time passage without a stopwatch.
- the glossssss. Gel polish is so pretty and glossy. Like fresh top coat on a good jelly.
What I didn't like:
- the permanence of gel. I change my nail color constantly (because swatching, mostly) and this stuff is a serious time commitment.
- the enclosed nail file. I'm a snob. Glass file or gtfo.
It is so pretty and glossy.
Overall, I really enjoyed this kit. If I were going to choose a gel kit, as a gel noob and an avid DIYer, I would pick this one over the Red Carpet kit. It's cheaper, I prefer the pink shade to the red shade, and they give you all full sized bottles. And this is a no-wipe topcoat...so I am finally going to conquer those chrome-powder manicures. Dammit.
The Pink Gellac kits are available on the website and they ship free. Do you like gel polishes? I am already looking to score a couple more, just for the nail art possibilities.
I don't have any true gel sets but I've considered them for pedicures or vacation manis. This looks like a nice starter set.ReplyDelete
I wish I didn’t have a gel polish allergy, I’m about to get rid of all of mine 😢ReplyDelete
That's really pretty! This looks like a nice beginner set!ReplyDelete
Great review, I use peel off base coat so that I can change my polish after gel. I’ve heard great things about this brand.ReplyDelete
This looks like a set I would use--the polish has such a pretty shine!ReplyDelete
Oooh, this is a great color - universal shade. I've only tried 1 gel brand and have used it for vacations - I need to do a comparison. :)ReplyDelete
I'm always worried that removal of gel will destroy my nails. The set sounds nice if I were to change my mind though.ReplyDelete
I've been thinking of picking up a kit like this and going gel. I've just not been changing my nail polish like I used to so it might be nice to have my nails done more consistently with my crazy schedule lately.ReplyDelete
I think this looks like a nice starter kit for someone who wants to dabble in gel polish. As someone who does a lot of swatching an usually can't commit to wearing the same polish for more than a couple of days, I don't think gel polish is for me.ReplyDelete
Such a great little kit. I do miss wearing gels, but as I change my polish so often I'll stick with my dipping powder xReplyDelete
This looks like a nice kit. I have some gel supplies thinking I will try it one day, then I chicken out.ReplyDelete
This seems to be a lovely kit. Great for beginners or as gift. Loving the color on you.ReplyDelete
I laughed about the glass file part! I also prefer glass ones :)ReplyDelete
I like the colors! I suppose that file is best for roughing up the gel to remove? I'm like you , love a glass file!ReplyDelete
I used this brand often when I was doing gel nails at my old salon! I liked it!ReplyDelete
Wow, that shine!!! Such a gorgeous summer shade.ReplyDelete
The comparative permanency - and the curing process - is what I'm not loving about gel polishes as well. Regular polish is a lot easier to apply and remove.ReplyDelete
I have like 3 gel kits and they all sit ignored. I suck.ReplyDelete
I, like you, change my polish every day, so gel has never really been an option for me. But I have considered getting something for vacations, and this might be it...ReplyDelete
Gel polish is kind of terrifying to me, but this seems like a really nice starting kit. If I ever tried it out, this would probably be the kit I would buy!ReplyDelete
Yay! Can’t wait to see those chrome manis!!!ReplyDelete
I always use gel for my pedicures!ReplyDelete
This sounds awesome for someone who doesn't change their nail color often & the shade is really pretty!ReplyDelete