I am all about new things these days. I had never tried a "smoosh" manicure before, as I saw them as a second-rate seriotype...but I stand here today to proclaim that I was wrong. And I love them. Here is the first of many. So very many.
(promotional samples ahead)
Emily de Molly Emmy
Emily de Molly All the Feelings
Powder Perfect Search the Kingdom
Pretty Serious Type 40
♦ ♦ ♦
vinyl mermaid stencils (similar)
Vapid Purple Polish Eater liquid latex (not shown)
stamper (not shown)
How I Did It
- Apply the pale base (EdM Emmy). Then paint on a layer of glitter (EdM All The Feelings). Seal with top coat.
- Paint on a layer of latex all around the finger. Use more than you'll need. Trust me.
- Apply the stencil. If you find it to be very sticky, place it on your palm first to remove some of the grip.
- Using whatever you want for a palette, place a few drops of polish in a random arrangement. I used a bit of my base as well, but you don't have to. Be aware that super-opaque colors (in this case, the Type 40) are going to be dominant, so less may be more.
- Smoosh your stamper into the drops and then smoosh them onto your nail. Don't overwork it or you will end up with threads trailing off...or do. I'm not the boss of you.
- Peel off the stencil (carefully) and seal with topper, and clean up.
I regret all the shit I talked about this method. 100%. I love how the flat surface of the stamper gives a marbled paper look to the finished product. I can't wait to try this again and again, using all sorts of different color combinations. Have you tried this method yet? Are you in love?